Summer 2009

31 August 2009

And we're back!

Sorry for the delay in posting! I admit, I often forget to blog for months at a time.

The past few months have been crazy and exciting. I won't go into too much detail...just a quick paragraph on some of the more major happenings.

Paris and Germany: After the Burkina Faso/Senegal trip (email me if you want any additional details on this trip!), I flew back to Paris and met up with Ed. Our time in France was a five day adventure, packed with sites and food. I'm afraid that the number of sites meant that we sacrificed a bit of the knowledge/appreciation factor. Another trip to Paris might be necessary to solve this problem. :-) This was Ed's first trip to Europe, despite the fact that he speaks Parisian French remarkably well (read: he'd speak in French, and if his French was better than the Parisian's English, they wouldn't try to switch languages). I relished the fact that, if Ed did the talking, I could avoid making Francophones' ears bleed with my horrible butchering of their language (something I'd done, purely out of necessity, for the past month). Everyone involved appreciated this arrangement, I'm sure! (I also have a tremendous love for Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris) It really was a wonderful trip that could have easily lasted a few weeks without any hint of boredom. Paris' low city skyline and general ambiance was not something I anticipated and it quickly grew on me. :-) Living there must be a bit of a(n expensive) dream!

Sadly, Ed's stay in Paris was cut short by his need to return to work. He flew out of Paris on Monday, at which point I caught a train to Wuppertal, Germany, where I was able to stay with a good friend from high school and her family. Their hospitality and generosity was amazing, and I appreciated the opportunity to catch up (and, of course, the opportunity to meet their beautiful newborn daughter!). Genuine friends like them are so hard to come by. :-) Although we see each other every few years (at best), it hardly seems like we miss a beat!

Work: My return to Ann Arbor was highlighted by my return to work at the Multicultural Environmental Leadership Development Initiative (MELDI) lab. The ladies that I worked with were full of life and character and brightened each day in the (somewhat) windowless office! (there are windows, but they look into the tech office, not outdoors...a little creepy!) Friday was my last day at the lab, which leaves me one week to relax, read, and prepare for classes!

Guests: Within a week of my return to Ann Arbor, Ed's folks arrived! It was great to see them and catch up on Thunder Bay happenings and upcoming plans. If only that darn lake weren't in the way, we could visit more often! Although their trip was short, it was full of great conversation and exploration of Ann Arbor's Art Fair and farmer's market.
Shortly after their departure, my parents flew in for their first visit since driving me here. I really loved being able to show them around a little, and their visit was a happy and relaxing break from my day-to-day work schedule. We seemed to balance the adventures (canoeing on the Huron, Mom teaching me how to make jam) with mellow evenings filled with BBQs, chatting, and playing with the cat (of course!). I really do miss seeing them. Which brings me to...

Pacific Northwest Adventures!: What would a summer be without a trip home?! Much to Ed's dismay, I left Ann Arbor without him (again), this time destined for Portland. There is nothing like home...it doesn't matter how many places I travel to and who I meet, they only make me appreciate home that much more! I can't help but think that even a neutral observer would find the Pacific Northwest remarkably beautiful and rugged. I felt increasingly spoiled to see my folks for almost three weeks (including their trip to Ann Arbor). Once again, they mastered the art of balancing adventures (sailing, hiking on Timberline, the fair) with spending time at home and chatting. I'm so glad to have met the new kittens at such a fun age...they are full of spunk, cuteness and lots of rodent-hunting potential (if their ability to hunt down toys is any indication!)
My trip home happily coincided with Andrew's trip home from Oxford. We took a traditional trip to Powell's and Burgerville, and I got to spend a rare bit of time with Aunt Mary and Steve. There were certainly sad circumstances surrounding this portion of my visit, but given events, the timing couldn't have been better.
The event that determined this trip's timing, however, was Brandon and Rachel's wedding!!! That's right! After five years together and a life spent between the two coasts, they are finally Mr. and Mrs. Arteaga! (congratulations, you two!) Their beautiful ceremony took place in front of the pillars on UW's campus. Dozens of close friends and family were there to help celebrate both the wedding and the reception at Golden Gardens. Andrea and Amy, I think you said it best..."Beautiful wedding, beautiful people, knock your socks off sunset..." and "Good times never seemed so good." The whole event reflected this couple's love and excitement as they enter this new phase of their lives, and the mood was contagious. *I have pictures...maybe I'll get around to posting them?!*
Happily, Ed flew out to Seattle for the wedding. The bride and groom were my housemates and are mutual friends of ours and we share a number of additional friends, so the entire weekend was packed with catching up and enjoying the company of people that we love.

I might be forgetting something in here...if so, I'll post an update. Otherwise, enjoy the quick glimpse of my summer, and check back for more frequent updates!

P.S. Congratulations, Lynnette and George, on your new addition! She is precious... I cannot wait to hear more about how everyone is doing. :-) hugs and love!

No comments: