Isn't it interesting how the lack of blogging seems to correspond with the start of school?! So I may have forgotten that I had a blog...oops! But nevertheless, I'm back and plan on keeping this fairly up-to-date. It's only fair given the amount of time I waste checking everyone else's postings!
The past few weeks have been dedicated not only to the obvious schoolwork, but also to the Great Internship Hunt of 2008. There is nothing like writing cover letters to make memos (and just about anything else) seem natural (even pleasant!) After all, the average acquaintance *particularly if from Michigan or the East Coast* rarely cares what you have done prior to what you are currently doing. Even in the most open, friendly community, the rules of 'polite society' seem to dictate that these conversations are for close friends only - definitely not for someone in another country whom you've never met! Anywho, this process is well worth the exciting potential internships available for this summer. Thus far, I've applied to one in Santa Barbara, CA (Direct Relief International...international aid non-profit with a focus on health care/health systems), one in Geneva (International Organization for Migration...very exciting prospect!), South Africa (Pretoria at the USAID office and maybe one in Capetown) and am looking into one in New York, one in Paris, and one in Montreal. I'll definitely let you guys know when/if I find anything out!
This year has definitely presented some pretty awesome opportunities, from traveling to see a friend's wedding in Wuppertal, Germany (worth every second of flight time!) to exploring Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, and Boston during my trips to see Ed. Currently, I'm working on organizing a brown bag lunch to host a South African speaker who is very involved in bringing art into the townships and consequently, very involved in the women's empowerment movement. Easing myself into graduate school has been an annoying process (yet intentional) and it is wonderful to finally start feeling more attached to the school and program. Speaking of identifying with the school and program, my statistics professor is from Seattle, went to UW (where he played football), and is now interested in Sub-Saharan African development (with emphasis on South Africa). How great is that?!?!?!?! :-)
Ok, I need to wrap this up. Hopefully you find this (I would've given up on me by now) and can keep me updated on how you're doing!
Summer 2009
01 February 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment